Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From the desk of Co-Founder Flint....

From the desk of Co-Founder Flint....

On the sixteenth anniversary of 9/11 current GI Joe writer Aubrey Sitterson (@aubreysitterson) took to Twitter to offer his own brand of social commentary. The reaction on social media was, as I can only guess, exactly what he intended. He is a “social medial consultant” after all, so it’s hard to imagine that such comments were meant to be innocuous.

The response to Sitterson’s tweet ranged from utter contempt to full support among fans. Some fans felt that Sitterson was not properly representing the GI Joe property with his comments, while others countered that using one’s freedom of speech embodies the ideals of a Real American Hero.

And of course, within a few tweets the name-calling, side taking and what is affectionately known as, nerd rage, ensued. Demands rang out for the publisher of the current GI Joe comic, IDW, to take swift action to remedy this perceived slight, and Sitterson’s supporters fired back. The back and forth, on both sides, has really gotten ugly and personal. Ain’t social media grand?

There is part of me that wants to throw OG13’s hat in the ring, and take a side on this matter. But I am not going to do that. For one, OG13 isn’t mine. It belongs to every one of the members who have posted here, past and present (even the ones we’ve banned. I think there was that one guy once), and I would never presume to speak for all of them. Instead, I would ask that all of the OG13 family make their own informed decision and act accordingly with their own moral compass pointed solidly due north.

If you decide that you want to stop buying IDW titles, or just ones that Sitterson writes, have at it. Money is power, and there is no greater protest than simply not buying what you don’t like.

We’ve had members write letters to IDW stating their opinions and asking for consideration as members of the GI Joe community. I’ve been privy to a few of the letters and e-mails too. Some are pretty powerful…..some are just hateful rants.

Others have taken to social media to loudly proclaim their feelings and thoughts.

Let’s not forgot those lurkers who are sitting back content to keep their thoughts to themselves and watch the rest of us press on (we know you’re there. Hi!).

I do caution our members on acting recklessly, however. A poorly conceived (or maybe just poorly conveyed) message started this whole whirlwind. Be better than that, act with purpose and do not become incensed beyond the capability of rational thought if you don’t get exactly what you demand. Think critically about why you don’t support Sitterson’s comment, or conversely why you may support it, and convey your message with passion and resolve. Far too often we blurt forth our comments from a raw, emotional place without knowing why we feel that way. Convey the why. Why are you pissed off? Explain why! Don’t resort to name-calling and trite labels (right wing, left wing, conservative, liberal…horseshit, half of the people who spew these forth don’t understand the meaning anyway).

Pick a fight because it’s a fight worth picking, not simply because you can.

***the above comment is that of co-founder Flint of OG13 and do not constitute a formal response or position from www.OG13.com ***
    But I still have access to the admin page so I get to rant on the front page for a minute I guess.
    Last edited by Flint; 09-15-2017 at 07:39 AM.
    {FEEDBACK] [B/S/T] [Flint's Loss]

"He is not the boogeyman. He is who you call to kill the boogeyman."

Very well thought out and presented. What little I have seen here has largely been against Sitterson's running commentary, but has been discussed in a fairly calm manner and fashion. Most of the troll personalities have long gone, and the remaining crew are largely mature, which has eliminated an rambunctious, emotionally fueled uprising. It's nice to see.

We live in a world full of a multitude of opinion, and a minority of fact. I love seeing the healthier talking points on display. Well done.

Most of the trolls have gone! When?
    Who do you think you are calling me mature!!!
    Hahaha.
    On another more sensible note, I do not buy the comic's anyway but from what I've seen Aubrey Sitterson has made inflammatory remarks even before it all kicked off about 9/11 issue from reading articles from other sites.
    It doesn't effect me either way but I wouldn't buy comic's done by such a person.

Quote Originally Posted by england joe View Post
    Most of the trolls have gone! When?
    Who do you think you are calling me mature!!!
    Hahaha.
    On another more sensible note, I do not buy the comic's anyway but from what I've seen Aubrey Sitterson has made inflammatory remarks even before it all kicked off about 9/11 issue from reading articles from other sites.
    It doesn't effect me either way but I wouldn't buy comic's done by such a person.
    I have no problems boycotting people/products when I do not agree with their views and practices. I will not shop Best Buy ever, for reasons discussed in threads past, and support those doing the same. I think at this point IDW will do what they can to save face and appease the larger portion of fans. I suspect Sitterson will be moved to a new title, after giving him a cooling off period. I cannot imagine them straight out firing him.

Toy Agent Provacuteur Black Swan's Avatar
    We have a front page ?!?!?

No tells me anything !

Quote Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
    We have a front page ?!?!?

No tells me anything !
    Stop being an immature troll! Hahaha

Toy Agent Provacuteur Black Swan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by england joe View Post
    Stop being an immature troll! Hahaha
    Can't help it ! Well the immature part.
    :)

As what happens next with IDW the ball really is in their court on what happen next with their "writer". Who knew that when I went to the IDW panel at ComicCon when the creative teams for the comic books were announced ... the "writer" seemed normal guess but I can't say that would've seen this shitstorm happening.

I already sent Hasbro an email the other day. Haven't received a response yet, and doubt I will, but it was courteous and professional. My opinion of this isn't solely based on Mr Sitterson's recent post but of his history of instigating amongst the GI Joe community. I told Hasbro that surely they don't want someone so low brow representing their Real American Hero. I was close to complaining when he posted on Facebook about the homosexual artist that did the cover of one of his issues, by starting out the conversation with "I know most of you will hate this", or something like that (the mods deleted it when the flame war ignited so I am not sure the exact wording). For him to assume that the community has any significant number of bigots within it is asinine. He's just a holier than thou art troll looking to be a victim constantly. I could careless about his politics, there are a lot of great people across the political spectrum, but he also touted his profile pic in which he wore a shirt with POTUS killing himself. I am certainly no fan of our current POTUS, but I don't think that type of stuff contributes anything, and really just makes him look like a fool. I skipped writing to IDW, they're obviously his enablers. I think shaking Hasbro's tree is what needs to happen. A guy like that isn't doing this already suffering brand any favors. I no longer buy comics regularly, but when I do it won't be from and IDW. And if Hasbro continues to allow this, I'll make sure I buy toys for my little cousin from Mattel's fine product line from now on instead. I did take the IDW books I already owned and tossed em in the trash today. I don't need that garbage in my house since they're so proud of his behavior.

I agree with Kwobubba but I didn't want to get that wordy. :)

Quote Originally Posted by kWobubba View Post
    I already sent Hasbro an email the other day. Haven't received a response yet, and doubt I will, but it was courteous and professional. My opinion of this isn't solely based on Mr Sitterson's recent post but of his history of instigating amongst the GI Joe community. I told Hasbro that surely they don't want someone so low brow representing their Real American Hero. I was close to complaining when he posted on Facebook about the homosexual artist that did the cover of one of his issues, by starting out the conversation with "I know most of you will hate this", or something like that (the mods deleted it when the flame war ignited so I am not sure the exact wording). For him to assume that the community has any significant number of bigots within it is asinine. He's just a holier than thou art troll looking to be a victim constantly. I could careless about his politics, there are a lot of great people across the political spectrum, but he also touted his profile pic in which he wore a shirt with POTUS killing himself. I am certainly no fan of our current POTUS, but I don't think that type of stuff contributes anything, and really just makes him look like a fool. I skipped writing to IDW, they're obviously his enablers. I think shaking Hasbro's tree is what needs to happen. A guy like that isn't doing this already suffering brand any favors. I no longer buy comics regularly, but when I do it won't be from and IDW. And if Hasbro continues to allow this, I'll make sure I buy toys for my little cousin from Mattel's fine product line from now on instead. I did take the IDW books I already owned and tossed em in the trash today. I don't need that garbage in my house since they're so proud of his behavior.
    I find it unfortunate that people with little skin in the actual situation are turning this into a politically charged issue. I have seen nothing in relation to the scenarios with the writer that suggest any political overtones. It seems the real beef is that he doesn't respect the brand and that's why fans are up in arms. His defenders are trying to turn his poor handling of an established franchise into a referendum on the fitness of those fans to have an opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast